Pad thai is one of the most famous Thai and Southeast Asian dishes – it doesn’t need any introduction. This noodle dish is a great meal for lunch and dinner.
It is savory, sweet, and spicy – a combination of flavors and textures you can hardly resist.
In case you’ve never heard of this dish before, pad thai is a stir-fried rice noodle typically prepared with chicken, shrimps, beef, tofu, crushed peanuts, bean sprouts, and some other vegetables. You can easily customize the ingredients to your liking.
Although it might not happen that often, there can be a moment when you end up with some leftovers. So, can you reheat pad thai without destroying its great taste?
The short answer is yes! There’s always a way to heat up leftovers to taste as delicious as fresh off the wok!
Keep reading to find two easy ways to reheat this stir-fried noodle at home!
Can You Reheat Pad Thai Safely?
Whether you cook at home or got it from your favorite Thai restaurant, there’s a chance that you can reheat this stir-fried rice noodle for next time’s meals.
In order to keep it safe to eat, it should be kept refrigerated to prevent bacterial growth that will make you sick. Leftover pad thai can be refrigerated in an airtight container for about 2 to 3 days.
It is best to eat the leftover as soon as possible because the longer it sits in the fridge, the noodle will harden and start to clump up.
Before reheating, make sure the leftover is safe to eat. Don’t reheat the dish if it shows spoilage signs, such as unpleasant odor and taste, slimy texture, or it’s been too long in the fridge.
When it comes to reheating methods, you have a couple of options. The easiest and quickest one would be microwaving it. But, the best technique would be re-frying it in a pan.
Now, let’s get to the step-to-step guide of reheating this ultimate Thai dish for a perfect warm meal!
How To Heat Up Pad Thai In A Microwave
Reheating in a microwave is as simple and straightforward as reheating other noodle dishes. It’s great if you want to bring leftovers to work!
Here is how to warm up leftover pad Thai in a microwave.
1. Place leftovers in a microwave-safe dish or plate.
2. If the dish looks too dry, sprinkle a few drops of water to add moisture.
3. Cover the dish with plastic wrap.
4. Microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes on medium power, depending on the portion.
5. Check if the noodle has been thoroughly warmed up. If not, continue reheating for 10 to 15 seconds.
6. Once ready, remove the wrap. Add more toppings if you’d like, and enjoy!
How To Reheat Pad Thai On A Stovetop
Reheating on a stovetop is totally easy and straightforward. You just need to be careful to not overcook it. Here is how to do it.
1. Add a little bit of oil into a wok or a regular pan. Be careful not to add too much oil, and your dish will be too oily.
2. Reheat oil over low to medium heat.
3. Once the oil is hot, add pad thai. If you’re reheating a large portion, it is best to do it in batches, so you won’t overcrowd the pan.
4. Sprinkle a few drops of water, so the noodles won’t be too dry. Don’t add too much water either because they will become sticky and flavorless.
If you have extra sauce, add it to enhance the flavor of your reheated dish.
5. Stir well and break any clumps.
6. Once the dish is thoroughly reheated, remove it from the wok.
7. Add more crushed peanuts, bean sprouts, and it’s ready to serve!
The Bottom Line
Pad thai tastes best when eaten fresh off the wok. But, if you have some leftovers, you can save and reheat them for the next day’s meals.
Reheating pad thai is an easy and straightforward task. You can easily do it in a pan (or wok) or in a microwave. Reheating in a pan yields slightly better quality than in a microwave, but both methods work equally well.
Follow our tips to reheat leftover pad thai safely, so you can enjoy this delicious rice noodle the second time!
*image by oumjeab/depositphotos