Quiche is a classic baked dish perfect for snacks and meals. Its preparation is pretty straightforward. A pastry crust is generously filled with egg custard mixed with cheese, meat, and vegetables. It is then baked into perfection.
Quiche Lorraine – the most popular variant is traditionally made with lots of bacon, cheese, and heavy cream. But, this French tart is also incredibly versatile. You can choose any ingredients for the fillings, from spinach, mushroom, ham, tuna, etc.! While the classic recipe is typically made with a buttery crust, the crustless one is just as phenomenal!
Like any other baked goods, quiche also tastes most scrumptious when eaten fresh from the oven. Unfortunately, having leftovers can sometimes be inevitable. The bad news is leftover pastry often turns soggy pretty quickly.
So, can you reheat quiche without making it soggy?
Don’t worry. With a bit of care and some simple steps, both refrigerated and frozen quiche can be reheated, so the crust stays flaky and crispy. At the same time, the fillings are just as creamy and silky as freshly baked!
Keep reading to find the right ways to reheat quiche, so the tart tastes as delightful as you just baked it!
How to Reheat Quiche in An Oven (or In A Toaster Oven)
Your oven is the best option to preserve the delicate texture of the leftover pastry. It won’t be the quickest technique, but it is perfect for achieving crispy crust and well-heated fillings.
You can reheat both chilled and frozen quiche. For refrigerated leftovers, take them out of the fridge before reheating to help crisp up the crust. For frozen ones, you can thaw them in advance or reheat them from a frozen state.
Here are our detailed instructions on how to reheat quiche in an oven.
1. Take out quiche from the refrigerator and let it rest at room temperature for 10 – 15 minutes.
2. Place it in a baking sheet and cover the crust with aluminum foil. Only cover the side crust and leave the fillings uncovered. Doing so will prevent the crust from getting burnt as it reheats.
3. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 325 – 350 ºF (162 – 176 ºC).
4. Bake for approximately 15 – 30 minutes. To reheat frozen pieces without thawing, simply add ± 10 – 20 minutes of baking time.
5. Check if it is fully heated and the center reaches a safe temperature of 165ºF.
6. Once ready, take it out of the oven and serve!
If you’re only reheating a slice or two, a toaster oven is an excellent choice as well. Simply follow similar steps as reheating in a conventional oven.
How To Reheat Quiche in A Microwave
Reheating leftovers in a microwave is obviously the quickest and most convenient way. The only downsides with this technique are the crust tends to get soggy, and the egg custard turns rubbery. But, we do have some tips to reduce these damages from ruining your leftovers.
Here is what you should know when reheating quiche in a microwave.
1. Take a slice from the refrigerator. Let it rest on the counter for 10 – 15 minutes.
2. Place it on a microwave-safe dish, uncovered.
3. Microwave for 2 – 3 minutes on medium power (50% power).
4. Check if it is thoroughly warmed to the center. If not, continue reheating for 20 – 30 seconds. Use short intervals, so you don’t overheat it. It should be ready when it is hot, and the interior reaches 165F.
5. Once ready, take it out of the microwave and serve!
Can you reheat leftover quiche twice?
Although technically you can, maybe it’s not a great idea. Its delicate texture and flavorful fillings will suffer after repeated reheating. It is best to reheat the amount you need and keep the remaining refrigerated/ frozen.
How long does quiche last in the fridge?
Leftover quiche stays fresh for only 3 – 4 days. Keep it refrigerated in a sealed container. If you don’t plan to eat it anytime soon, consider freezing it.
Can you freeze quiche?
Yes. You can freeze quiche before and after baking it. To freeze leftovers, wrap the slices in plastic wrap, pack them in a resealable bag, suck out as much air as possible, seal it tightly, and freeze for 2 – 3 months. To freeze unbaked tart, you can prepare and assemble it, as usual, flash freeze until the filling is frozen solid, wrap and pack in a freezer, and freeze for up to 1 – 2 months.
How long can quiche sit out?
This classic French dish is perishable and should be kept refrigerated within 1 – 2 hours after cooking. (*)
The Bottom Line
Leftover quiche tends to become soft and soggy. But, you can bring it back to life by reheating it in an oven. You can also heat it up quickly in a microwave for your lunch break.
Follow our instructions above. With some easy steps and tips, you can warm up leftover quiche to taste as delicious as day one!