Stromboli is essentially a rolled-up pizza loaded with cheese, cured meats, and rich sauce. Cheesy and meaty, this Italian American invention is a tasty treat on the weekend and a delicious addition to your weeknight dinner routine.
If you often have leftovers, you should know how to reheat the delicious stuff. Some people say leftover stromboli tastes even better the next day. Well, you’ll be the judge.
Read on to find the proper ways to reheat and freshen up stromboli. We provide the step-to-step guide down below, so keep reading!
Method 1: Reheating Stromboli in the Oven
As you might have guessed, your oven is the go-to option to reheat baked goods. It is, indeed, the best method to freshen up leftover stromboli, as the heat distributes evenly in the oven.
Thus, it is perfect to crisp up the crust, melt the cheese, and warm up the fillings!
Oven reheating does take time, but it is totally worth the wait.
Here is how to do it.
- 1. Set your oven to 350 °F.
- 2. Take out the stromboli from the fridge and let it stand at room temperature while the oven heats up.
- 3. Wrap the rolled pizza in aluminum foil and place it in a baking tray or oven-safe dish.
- 4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 5. Remove it from the oven and check if it is nicely heated up to the center. If not, bake for an extra 5 minutes, or until it is perfectly crisped up.
- 6. Finally, take it out of the oven and uncover it carefully. Let it rest for several minutes before serving as the center is piping hot.
- 7. Serve with marinara, ranch, or your favorite dipping sauce!
Method 2: Reheating Stromboli In a Microwave
You’ve probably heard that the microwave is not the best option to reheat baked goods. While that’s true, there are some situations when this kitchen appliance can be a good alternative.
Suppose you only need to reheat a slice or two for a quick late-night snack. In that case, your microwave is indeed a brilliant solution.
The only downside is you can’t really get a crispy crust. So, if you’re okay with a soft crust, don’t hesitate to reheat leftover stromboli in the microwave.
Here is how you can do it.
- 1. Remove the Stromboli from the fridge and leave it on the counter for several minutes, so it reaches room temperature. Don’s skip this step. It allows the rolled pizza to heat up evenly. Hence, it won’t end up with cold patches.
- 2. Place it in a suitable, microwaveable container.
- 3. Heat up for 1 to 2 minutes over medium power. Check to see if it’s fully warmed up. Reheat for another 10 to 15 seconds, if necessary.
- 4. Once ready, serve immediately and enjoy with your favorite sauce.
Method 3: Reheating Stromboli in An Air Fryer
An air fryer is an increasingly popular kitchen appliance. If you’re thinking of using it to reheat leftovers, it is indeed an excellent option!
Reheating stromboli in the air fryer yields closely similar results to the oven method. That means a perfectly crispy exterior but in less time! It’s also perfect for dealing with a few slices at a time.
Here is what you need to do.
- 1. Preheat your air fryer to 400 °F.
- 2. Take the stromboli slices from the refrigerator and let them stand on the counter for several minutes while waiting for the fryer to heat up.
- 3. Place them in the basket in a single layer.
- 4. Reheat for 3 to 4 minutes. This cooking time should be enough to crisp up the crust and reheat the fillings. Be careful not to overcook them because the exterior will dry out.
- 5. Serve while they’re still nice and warm.
The primary differences are the shape and the sealing method. The dough in the calzone is folded into two and sealed. Hence, it looks like a half-moon. While in Stromboli, the dough is rolled and shaped like an elongated rectangle.
Last but not least, calzone originated from Italy, while Stromboli is an Italian American creation. More precisely, it was invented in Philadelphia.
Absolutely. You can assemble Stromboli in advance and wrap them tightly in aluminum foil. Refrigerate it, and it stays fresh for up to 24 hours before baking.
Shortly before baking, bring it to room temperature while waiting for the oven to heat up.
Leftovers can be wrapped in foil and packed in a Ziploc bag or placed in an airtight container. Either way, refrigerate them within 2 hours after cooking. Properly refrigerated, they will stay fresh for 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
Yes. This pizza derivative makes a perfect freezer meal. It freezes well, both baked or unbaked. To freeze unbaked Stromboli, prepare it, as usual, roll it up, wrap it tightly in aluminum foil before placing it in a freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months.
To freeze baked pieces, simply pack them in a freezer bag, seal the package tightly, and freeze for later.
Yes. As long as it is refrigerated promptly and eaten within recommended time (up to 3 to 4 days), you can enjoy it cold or at room temperature.
In A Nutshell
Reheating stromboli is surprisingly easier than you can ever imagine. There are at least three ways to attain a perfectly crispy exterior and warm fillings.
You can reheat the rolled pizza in the oven, air fryer, or microwave. If you aim to crisp up the crust, go with the oven or air fryer. If you seek to reheat leftovers quickly, go with the microwave.
Follow our step-to-step guide to reheat stromboli, so it tastes as fabulous as freshly baked ones!
*image by robeo123/depositphotos