Who doesn’t love burritos? This Mexican American dish is not only a best-seller in restaurants, but it is also pretty easy to make at home.
To prepare at home, you only need tortillas, your favorite source of protein (beef, chicken, or beans), veggies, and sauces. No matter which fillings are stuffed in the flour tortilla wrappers, everyone seems to love this tasty meal!
Although burrito is best eaten fresh, you don’t necessarily need to throw any leftover soggy and wet burrito. In that case, you might want to reheat them to taste like fresh meals, especially if you want a crispy breakfast burrito quickly.
So, what is the best way to reheat leftover burritos?
Keep reading to find the right ways to heat up your wrapped burrito for a quick, satisfying meal!
Can You Reheat Burritos with Guacamole?
The great aspect of this Mexican delicacy is you can customize the filling to your favorites. Unfortunately, some cold ingredients, such as sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, will make the wrappers soggy.
It is best to scrape off these cold ingredients and put them back later after reheating. If the fillings only contain beef, cooked beans, or chicken, they can be reheated right away.
Here are the essential steps to reheat burritos properly.
Step 1. Remove any cold ingredients.
Step 2. Reheat burritos (see reheating options below).
Step 3. Add vegetables and other cold ingredients.
You have several options for reheating leftover burritos. Check the detailed guide below and select one that suits your situation.
How To Reheat A Burrito in The Oven
Technically, you can reheat burritos in many ways, but your oven might be the best bet. Reheating in an oven is perfect for achieving the closest quality as freshly made ones. You can also use a toaster oven or an air fryer.
That means the tortilla stays crispy, the fillings are nicely heated, and the shredded cheese is melted to perfection.
Here is the right way to reheat burritos in an oven.
- Set your oven to 225 to 250 F.
- Wrap burritos individually in aluminum foil.
- Place wrapped burritos in a baking tray and bake for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Check if they are heated evenly and the interior reaches a safe temperature of 165 F. You can cut a burrito in half to check.
- Once ready, take them out of the oven. Be careful not to burn yourself when unwrapping the foil.
- Serve immediately!
If you’re only reheating one piece, a toaster oven is also a great option. The instructions are similar to reheating in an oven.
How To Warm Up Burrito in a Skillet
If your burritos contain cold ingredients, this method might not be the best option. After reheating, the tortilla will be crispy, making it less pliable and difficult to fold.
That said, it will be more challenging to stuff those cold ingredients back and fold the wrapper.
This method is excellent if you don’t want to spend much time like the oven technique but prefer a crispier exterior which you can’t get from the microwave.
The other downside is that it is more laborious since you need to keep a watchful eye so your leftovers won’t get burned.
If you choose this method, here is how to turn a soggy burrito to a delicious one:
- Grease a pan or skillet with a little bit of oil or non-stick spray to prevent the burrito from sticking to the pan.
- Heat the pan on low to medium heat. It is best to use a lower heat to avoid burning the tortilla while the stuffing is still cold. This is especially true when you reheat larger sizes.
- Place a burrito on the pan and cover it with a lid.
- Reheat for 2 to 3 minutes on one side, flip and reheat for another 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat if the inside is still cold. To check, cut in the center and see if it’s steaming.
- Serve immediately.
How To Heat Up Burrito in the Microwave
If you’re a fan of microwaving everything, you might be thinking of doing so with leftover burritos.
Luckily, this kitchen appliance does a pretty decent job of heating up this Mexican dish. The wrapper might be a little soft and soggy, but if you don’t mind with this less optimal quality, you’re good to go.
Although it won’t be as perfect as reheating in an oven, this method is undoubtedly a go-to when you don’t feel like spending a lot of time just reheating one burrito. Here is how to do it.
- If the burrito is wrapped in aluminum foil, make sure to unwrap the foil. Keep in mind that aluminum foil is never microwave-safe.
- Place it in a microwave-safe dish or plate and cover it with a damp paper towel.
- If the tortilla looks dry, sprinkle a few drops of water to add moisture. Don’t add too much water and make the tortilla wet and turn soggy.
- Microwave for 1 to 1.5 minutes on one side. Flip and reheat for another 1 – 1.5 minutes. Reheat until the interior is thoroughly heated and reaches a safe temperature of 165 F (or 74 C).
In A Nutshell
To reheat Chipotle burritos and Taco Bell burritos properly, you need to check whether it contains cold ingredients. Remove any cold ingredients, such as guacamole, sour cream, etc. Then, you can reheat it in an oven, skillet, or microwave.
Reheating a burrito might seem tricky if you don’t know the trick. Simply follow our guides above on how to reheat a burrito to get the best possible results!
- How to reheat tacos in oven
- Best way to reheat nachos
- How to heat corn tortillas
- Best way to reheat enchiladas
*image by nata_vkusidey/depositphotos