Fish and chips are a fantastic dish that you can enjoy on any occasion. This famous takeaway dish originated from the UK but is also popular in many other countries.
The classic English dish consists of deep-fried battered fish served with fries. Despite the US meaning of chips, this fast food is served with French fries or potato wedges. Sometimes it is also accompanied by coleslaw, pickles, or lemon slices.
The ideal scenario is, of course, enjoying warm, freshly baked fish and chips. But, in certain moments, we have to deal with leftovers. In that case, you should know how to reheat them properly.
Read on to learn the ultimate guide to reheat the ultimate English dish to retain its crunchy texture and tasty flavors!
Can You Reheat Fish and Chips?
What you want to avoid is having a soggy mess. That means microwaving is not the best reheating method. Instead, we can reheat this comfort food in three ways; in the oven, air fryer, or skillet.
Although we can use the same method, they need to be reheated separately, so each component warms up evenly and nicely. The fries and fish require different amounts of time and temperatures to perfectly warm them up. More on that below!
The Proper Ways To Reheat Chips (or French Fries)
The ideal method to reheat leftover fries is using the same way as their original preparation. The traditional cooking process is by deep-frying them. Additionally, baking and air frying them are also quite popular these days.
Thus, we can reheat leftover chips by refrying, baking, or air frying them. These methods effectively bring back the crispy texture, so you won’t have soggy pieces.
Option 1: fry the second time
If you have tons of leftover pommes-frites, refry in several rounds to avoid overcrowding the pan. The only drawback of refrying them is that they can be a little more oily.
Here is the step-to-step guide to refry leftover chips.
1. Pour some oil in a large nonstick skillet or frying pan. The oil should be enough to cover the entire surface of the pan and fry the fries.
2. Turn the stove on medium-high heat and wait for the oil to heat up.
3. Once the oil is hot enough, place the fries on the skillet and fry for several minutes until they turn golden brown and perfectly crisped up. Stir them occasionally, so they heat up evenly.
4. Remove them immediately and transfer them to a paper-towel-lined plate.
5. Let them sit for a few minutes to drain excess oil.
Tips: Don’t place the chips while the oil is still cold. Otherwise, they will soak up the oil and become super oily.
Option 2: reheat in an air fryer
If you opt for a healthier version, you might cook the fries in an air fryer. You can also use the same method to reheat leftovers.
Here is how to do it.
1. Place the chips in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Depending on the capacity, you might need to reheat them in batches.
2. Set the air fryer to 350 °F.
3. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until they are hot and crispy again. Don’t hesitate to adjust the cooking time. It may vary depending on the thickness of the fries and the desired level of crunchiness.
4. Sprinkle some salt and serve!
Option 3: bake them in the oven
If you need to deal with a large batch of fries, the oven method should be your go-to option. Here are the detailed instructions.
1. Set your oven to 400 to 450 °F.
2. Place the fries on a foil-lined baking tray evenly in a single layer.
3. Bake for about 5 minutes.
4. After 5 minutes have passed, take them out and see if they are thoroughly heated and crispy. The reheating time depends on the thickness and the amount you are handling.
5. Once ready, take them out, and serve immediately. Sprinkle some salt if you like.
The Right Ways To Reheat Battered Fried Fish
We have some alternatives on how you warm up leftover fish without getting soggy. Again, microwaving is not the best idea.
Option 1: Bake in the oven
The oven is a brilliant alternative because the heat distributes evenly. Hence, the fish comes out nice and crispy. Plus, no need to add extra oil. Here are the detailed steps.
1. Preheat your oven to 350 °F.
2. Take out the leftovers from the fridge. Let it on the counter while waiting for the oven to heat up, so it comes to room temperature.
3. Place the fish on a baking sheet or oven-safe dish. To reheat several pieces, arrange them nicely and evenly. Don’t stack them on top of each other.
4. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness and amount. Check periodically to avoid overheating.
5. Once they are nicely reheated, take them out, and serve!
Option 2: Refry the battered fish
This method is much quicker than using an oven. It’s also a great solution to freshen up a small batch. Here is how you should do it.
1. Add some oil to a skillet or frying pan.
2. Heat up on medium heat.
3. When the oil is hot enough, put leftover fish in the skillet and fry for 1 to 3 minutes on each side. Feel free to adjust the time depending on the thickness.
4. Remove from the pan and transfer to a paper towel. Let it rest for a few minutes to soak up the excess oil.
Option 3: Use an air fryer
If you have an air fryer, that’s great! This kitchen appliance is also a quick and effective tool to reheat leftover fried fish.
1. Place the leftovers in the air fryer basket in a single layer. To reheat many pieces, it’s better to do it in several rounds.
2. Reheat at 320 °F for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Adjust the reheating time if necessary.
3. Once thoroughly reheated, take out and serve!
Unfortunately, a quick reheating in the microwave won’t do any good to the crunchy texture of the fries and fried fish. Instead, you will end up with a soggy mess. Unless you don’t have a better option, microwaving them should be your last choice.
Yes. As long as you refrigerate it promptly, leftover fish can stay fresh for up to 3 to 4 days. Don’t refrigerate or eat it any longer than this recommended time. If you want to extend its shelf life, freezing is your best bet.
Yes, provided that you have refrigerated them promptly, there is a low risk of bacterial contamination. But, they might not taste as delicious as their warm version. We recommend heating them up shortly, so you can savor their deliciousness.
Like most leftovers, fried fish last for about 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. Be sure to place it in a shallow, airtight container. Alternatively, you can also wrap it tightly in aluminum foil before refrigerating.
Like any perishable foods, fried fish should be kept refrigerated immediately or within 1 to 2 hours after cooking. Leaving it at room temperature allows harmful bacteria to develop, making you sick when you eat the spoiled leftovers.
In A Nutshell
The rule of thumb for reheating fish and chips is to avoid using the microwave. Doing so results in soggy textures.
You can quickly reheat the classic English dish either in the oven, skillet, or air fryer. Reheat the fish and fries separately to allow them to heat up evenly. Put them back all together and enjoy while still warm!
There you go, the proper ways to reheat leftover fish and chips to make them crunchy and tasty again!
*image by NatashaBreen/depositphotos